Friday, October 17, 2008

Family Traditions

Laurel is in grade2 and studing family traditions. She had to write about one tradition. It was so interesting to see the one she chose- I thought she might pick that the birthday person picks the restuarant for dinner or getting presents for Christmas. But the tradition most important to her is Girls Getaway. Every September all of the females in the Connors family rent the same house in Pennsylvania. We have been doing this for seven years. Usually on Saturdays we go shopping at Tannersville. This year we all bought matching pajamas and necklaces. I also got a new watch. For dinner on Saturday night my mother’s cousin, Christina, creates an amazing feast. She went to the Culinary Institute of America and she is an excellent chef. We all help make the Saturday night feast. Then we gather around and take turns sharing memories. This was the first year that children were allowed to go. My cousins, Stephanie and Grace, and I were the only children there. This year everyone shared memories about our mother. I said mine was not a memory because it was happening right then. I told my mommy that I was happy she let me come to Girls Getaway.
As an additional activty for this unit, all families were asked to send in a recipe that represents are ancestors. I am proud to be Irish and considered the old standy-by of Irish Soda Bread but honestly, no kids are ever too psyched to eat Irish Soda Bread. Not to mention the fact that I am half Irish, half German and Justin is about 4 more nations so our children really are officially American. So here is what I brought: Robbins Family Tradition: Our family loves desserts. We always make homemade desserts for special occasions like birthdays, Thanksgiving and Easter. The vanishing oatmeal bars have become a staple at all family gatherings. And if you want one, act quick because they really do vanish!

No comments: