Thursday, April 25, 2019

What FI Means to Me

About 18 months ago my husband introduced me to the Mr. Money Mustache blog.  He is a local legend from my town who I have never met but he blogs about the FIRE Movement- Financial Independence Retire Early.  Since then we have been reading more and more about this movement and learning about how this philosophy might fit into our own life.

While we are still working we like the freedom that FI offers.  By reining in our spending and increasing our savings we have more choices.  I know that I could stop working sooner if I wanted to but I am choosing to work as long as I find my work fulfilling.  It is no longer a case that I HAVE to go to THIS job, but I am choosing this work.  If I really decide I am not fulfilled I can choose to do something lower paying but more fulfilling since we have lowered our expenses while also increasing our savings.

Related to having choices, I am using time with intention.  Ultimately time is our greatest asset and FI gives us time to do more of what fulfulls us.  So while I am working and as I make decisions of what I will do when I work less, I ask myself how I want to spend my days.  It is these deep conversations about what makes us happy and how I want to spend my days that helps me solidify what really matters and how I want to use my time.  These are the top ways I want to use my time:  Being with friends and family, hiking, yoga, eating healthy, reading, growing my mind, and traveling to connect with new and old friends and see natural wonders.  

By spending less and using less I am also making more sustainable choices.  Sometimes the differences are not necessarily huge financial gains but they are still worth doing because it is saving money and still making less garbage.  For example, we have tried to eliminate paper towels.  That alone will not lead to FI but it is also rewarding to switch over to rags simple because I like knowing that I am not literally throwing dollars in the garbage when I could simple use a rag.  I also enjoy biking to and from work when the weather allows.  Not only does it save a little on gas, it also gives me a little exercise and I actually enjoy starting and ending my day with some fresh air and sunshine.  
 
In case you are interested in learning more about the FIRE movement, here are some good first steps.
Here is a video from PBS that introduces the Fire Movement.
Mr. Money Mustache lives in Longmont.  Here is his blog.  
I like the ChooseFI podcast- pick and choose the episodes you like but here is a good place to start.

No comments: