Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Leap of Faith

These last two weeks have been a whirlwind to say the least. Justin and I went from dreaming about moving to Colorado “someday” to listing the house, buying plane tickets and making this dream a reality. As crazy as it all sounds, this just feels right for our family at this time. Our hope is that Laurel and Owen are at a great age to enjoy more independence with friends and appreciate the best natural playground in the US- Colorado. And even though I must admit the stress level is a little high, I have this feeling that everything is going to work out alright.

So here is a little history: Justin and I have been thinking about where we want to live for awhile. At first we thought about upstate NY or NH but we kept coming back to the Boulder area and decided if we are going to make a change, lets really make it worth our while. In the meantime we researched Longmont, CO and learned that it is somewhat of a hub for software programming jobs. (If you want to see more about our new hometown look here: About Longmont So we started thinking about moving and making a plan. Then one night I was online surfing (Zillow is a dangerous hobby for one looking for a better place to live) and I googled the phrase teaching jobs Colorado. One of the first links brought me to a listing for this opening: LONGMONT HIGH SCHOOL LIBRARIAN!!! I showed it to Justin and asked if I should apply? He said yes…. And the rest is history. Well- not exactly, because in order to get an official offer I need fingerprint clearance and a Colorado Teachers License. While this is hopefully nothing more than a formality, it is not a quick or easy formality so I was faced with a dilemma. Resign from a good paying job with family health benefit and “hope” it all works or stay in Mount Olive and always wonder WHAT IF? Well- for once in my life I decided to take the risky option. Today I gave notice for my job as the Mount Olive High School Librarian. And while it feels scary and stressful and a little bit wreckless- It also feels great because I feel like we are starting a new life in a place that I am really excited about discovering with my family.

So phase one of our adventure begins on Saturday. Laurel and Owen and I will start heading west early on Saturday morning. (Justin needs to stay behind for now for work and to sell the house but he will be joining us soon.) Temporarily this blog will be the Robbins Colorado or Bust Blog. Follow along if you are interested….
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

Good for you - taking this big leap forward! This is a very exciting move - best of luck to you and your family.

StonehamCyclist said...

I'm really happy for the four of you. We took a similar leap of faith a few years ago and moved to Chicago. It was one of the best and most fun things we ever did for our family. Enjoy your new adventure!!

mommyreader said...

Thanks for the encouragement Greg and Karen. Adventure is definitely the right word but so far so good