Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Quandary Peak



It is so easy to get sucked into the daily grind of work and chores.  But STOP!!!! As my dad used to say (quoting Mark Twain):  "Never let school work interfere with your education."  It would be quite a treat to head to NYC to see a broadway show on a school day.  Well- I am not quite as spontaneous as my dad but Owen and I wanted to get one more 14er in before the snow covers the mountains.  I looked at the weather forecast and the only way to do it was to miss school.  So.... at 5:00AM Monday morning we headed off to the Quandary Peak Trailhead.  It was such a fabulous day and we had a wonderful hike up to the summit.

Sadly this month I have had a lot of reminders that life can change or end in a heart beat.  First my Uncle Phil died after a long illness, then my friend Matt died very suddenly on a camping trip, then my colleague Jared, along with his wife, died in a tragic car accident and left behind their two year old daughter.  All of these events make you stop and ask what really matters.  And of course the answer is always- time with those we love.  So pick up the phone and call that person you have been meaning to call, make a date with someone you need to catch up with or snuggle up a little tighter with those you love.  Yes I missed a day of work and Owen missed a day of classes but I am going to guess twenty years from now he will still remember the day he went hiking with a goat and you can be sure that whatever we missed at school wouldn't have been that memorable!  Here's to keeping it all in perspective!

No comments: