Saturday, March 9, 2019

Yoga Retreat

I have enjoyed yoga for much of my adult life. But usually time and money kept my from a very dedicated and consistent practice. Last spring a studio opened up in my neighborhood and I started making more of an effort to make it part of my routine. In the summer I got a monthly pass and tried all the different types of classes and really started being a regular student. On Thanksgiving I learned about a teacher training class that was beginning. While I had hoped to do this once my children headed off to college, I decided the circumstances were just too perfect to put it off. So I began my journey as a yoga teacher. It has been such a great experience and I know it is just the beginning because it is the kind of thing that the more you learn, the more you learn you need to learn. But for now I am just so happy to be learning more about breathing and mindfulness and awareness and surrounding myself with others who are on a similar path of discovery and appreciation for each other.
Part of my teacher training included a week long yoga retreat in Costa Rica at the Goddess Garden Yoga Retreat Center. We nourished our bodies with vegetarian meals, nourished our minds with yoga talks and meditation practice and practiced postures and breathing daily. We also had free time to enjoy the beach and reconnect with nature in the rain forest. It was such a gift and I am so grateful to my family for supporting me and encouraging me to begin this journey a little ahead of schedule.

Some of my favorite yoga quotes and comments from this week:
"Yoga doesn’t happen on the mat. It’s what happens when I get off the mat."
"Massaging the earth with each step you take."
"If you want to change one thing you need to change everything"


2 comments:

StonehamCyclist said...

It sounds like a wonderful experience even if getting there was somewhat of an adventure. I'm glad you were able to do something that was so personally fulfilling sooner rather than later.

Joanna said...

You are my role model! Was Eckhart Tolle mentioned at all on the retreat? He is my new favorite person to listen to.