Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Advice Anyone?

I love my daughter. In fact most days I like the traits I see in her more than what I see in myself. Laurel is creative and smart. She is a hard worker and somehow she has this amazing fashion sense that cracks me up since both mom and dad are greatly lacking in that area. BUT... her messy room drives me INSANE. I have tried everything from emptying her room into the attic to filling bags with garbage to banning all purchases. She does not seem to get it that the floor is not an acceptable storage area for ear rings, books, craft supplies, and toys. Anytime I mention the word clean-ups I know I can count on Laurel to find a quiet spot to disappear to. Then when I do find her I have to hear how everyone hates her. I am at my wits end- I find myself wishing that we lived in a one-bedroom home with 2 outfits a piece. Then we would not have to spend precious energy fighting about STUFF. You wonder why I pack up every summer? That's because when you sleep in a tent and pack a laundry basket per person there is not a whole lot of time and energy spent on clean-ups. I hope someday I will look back at this blog entry and laugh. But for now it is driving me crazy.

2 comments:

Heather said...

My advice, "Don't sweat the small stuff." My mom had the best, I think, solution for the messy bedrooms that my sister & I had growing up...she said, "...there must be a fire path." SO, every night my sister and I would push our toys to the side to make a path down the middle of our rooms so we could escape safely if there was a fire. And, we both grew up to have neat homes (for the most part!). So, be thankful L & O are healthy, happy & loved...and sit down in the middle of their rooms & play with them instead of cleaning-up...these precious moments are fleeting.

Heather said...

Oh, the above comment is from Heather.