Monday, July 22, 2013

Muddled Summer Cocktails

I am a sucker for muddled cocktails. But even better than paying $8 or more for one of these while I am out, I like reading cocktail menus for ideas and making my own versions at home. For me the ritual of muddling is half the fun of having the drink. Right now there are so many mint leaves and fresh raspberries in my back yard it just seems a waste not to make a fresh muddled cocktail! Every summer I seem to gravitate towards a couple of stand bys. Here are a few that I have enjoyed this season.

Helentini
Muddled Watermelon and mint, fresh lime , vodka, splash of lemon soda

Strawberry Mojito
Muddled strawberries and mint leaves, rum, splash of lemon soda

Blueberry Lemonade
Muddled blueberries and mint and fresh lime with gin and lemonade

Summer Sunset
Muddled garden fresh raspberries with lemon vodka and lemonade- best enjoyed while watching the sun go down over the mountains.

Note: I do not like my drinks sweet so I do 2oz alcohol, 3 oz of the lemonade or other beverage and anywhere between a half to a whole lime because I like citrus. This may be too much lime for some. I also choose to leave crushed iced in my drink rather than strain it because, after all, hydration is important.

This is not a muddled drink but if you want a tasty garnish for a bloodytini, use a basil leaf with a garden picked cherry tomato or an olive. I had some fresh mozzarella so I added that too.

No comments: