Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Weed Therapy


I am not a big fan of using chemicals and water to create a perfect lawn. But I have learned the hard way that I will need to do something. While we were in NJ for three weeks the bindweed took over our front lawn. At a quick glance I thought we had some cute little flowers that open to the sunlight and close to the shade....along the lines of Morning Glories. But these weeds curl themselves around all the good plants and strangle them. So for an hour a day I sit outside and pull weeds. Not quite as good as curling up with a good book but I have found it rather relaxing. Especially when someone sits outside to keep me company.

After two days of watering the grass I noticed many of the weeds were not looking so good. I told Laurel that I was really surprised that watering is making such a difference. Laurel said, "Of course. Weeds are made to live in bad conditions. When you make the conditions good it makes the grass happy and the weeds sad." I told her I wished she gave me this weed knowledge last month. And then as I pulled weeds in solitude I thought over her comment and decided it is pretty good parenting advice. Rather than worrying about all the bad things that can happen, just keep watering the good stuff and it will be a lot harder for the weeds to creep in.

No comments: