Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ready or not- here we come!

Today is what I hope will be the start of an amazing vacation with mommy and Owen. (This trip was planned back in January, long before we knew about our big move to Colorado. So we are taking a break from all the stress of relocating 1700 miles and having a little mother/son bonding time.) We will be flying on SAS airlines from Newark to Copenhagen. Our flight leaves at 5:40. We left Denville at 2:00 and since we left plenty of time for traffic or other surprises things went perfectly smooth and we were through security and seating near the gate before 3:00! I have not done international travel since Ireland five years ago but I was very surprised that there was zero wait to get through security. Once we got here we had a lot of time to kill with very little options. So we had a bite to eat at an overpriced Irish pub and we started reading our books. Owen is reading Funny Business edited by Jon Scieszka and I am reading The Power by Rhonda Byrne.
Things started off pretty smooth with a quick boarding and prompt take off. Then Owen seemed to catch a bug and he spent much of the plane ride with a barf bag. Thank goodness he gets A++++ for aim and we managed to make it through the flight without too many people knowing what was going on. After clearing customs in Copenhagen we took a ten minute train to the main station. Then we waited about ninety minutes to board our three hour train ride to the island of Fehmarn. My little trooper was trying hard to hang tough but I know it wasn't easy. I created a makeshift bed in a quiet corner of the train station and rested Owen's head on my lap so he could sleep. This left me in an awkward position but there was no way I was going to risk waking him so I sat and enjoyed the people watching. At one point a lady came up to me with a bright smile and a question and I replied that I only know English. She then said Can I buy you a coffee? I think she thought we were down on our luck. I said no thanks. It was enough that she asked.
It was time to board the train. We went down to track 8 and settled into some seats. After a few stops we needed to move because we did not have reservations. I woke Owen up and we settled between cars. Owen quickly fell back asleep... I had no idea he had such hobo tendencies...Then the train split and the front eight cars actually went on the ferry. Once the train was on the ferry we got off the train and walked around the ferry for forty five minutes. Then we all got back on the train and it pulled off the ferry. A few minutes later we arrived at our destination - Puttgarden. I saw a girl with red hair running and wondered if it was Rahel. Then I saw Walter, Renate's father. They had already rented bikes for us and peddled them to the ferry. We got on the bikes and started riding to the house. After about an hour we arrived at the house and Owen finally got time sleeping in a bed that I had been promising. After a short nap I woke him up and he ate a big bowl of rice and a buttered roll. He seemed all better. After dinner the children danced and played UNO. I fought sleep as long as I could but gave in at 7PM.

No comments: